New York: June 12, 1827.
Manuscript map, hand colored. 16-1/2 x 23-1/2 inches. Linen backed at an early date Item #353914
The cartographer of this map, Edwin Smith, was appointed to the office of the City Surveyor in 1831. The map depicts the region with landowners named, including William James, James Patten, Robert Halliday, S. Thompson, Alexander Knox and J. Hazlet. Interestingly, the map shows the location and layout of Fort Gansevoort, constructed for the War of 1812 and demolished circa 1850. Immediately south of the Fort is a lot marked as a proposed reservation by the Corporation of the City of New York, as well as a proposed grant to John Jacob Astor.
Curiously, the map also shows the original waterfront before the area was expanded with infill. A manuscript notation by George B. Smith dated May 19, 1830, certifies the accuracy of the plan compared to those in the Commissioner's office. Later pencil annotations on the map record surveys and ownership updates later in the 19th century.
A decorative manuscript map of a portion of the West Village in the boom years of city development following the implementation of the Commissioner's grid plan of 1811.
Price: $1,500.00 Free International Delivery