[N.p: Eagle Salmon Club, [n.d., ca. 1963-1973].
85; 112; 184 pp. 3 vols. 8vo. Wrappers with black cloth spine. Minor soiling, spotting, and creasing to wrappers. Near fine Not in Bruns. Bibliotheca Salmo salar 146 (first vol.). OCLC: 995507436 (Memorial Unv., Newfoundland). Item #333330
The Eagle River is a remote river in southeast Labrador. The Eagle Salmon Club was formed in December 1957 with the purchase of an abandoned cabin from the Hudson's Bay Company, and the first party of six Atlantic salmon fishermen (W. Gordon Wood, G.B. Duhamel, Ted Rogowski, Doc Watson, John Brancker, and Lee Wulff) arrived in late July 1958, joined soon after by J.E. Birks, Bill Savage, P.H. Skelton, and J.E. Pepall. There were multiple parties on visits annually thereafter. These three books reprint the club's original log books - "no attempt has been made to edit the grammar or the punctuation. It will be apparent to the reader that, in some cases, the log-keeper was highly stimulated, whether as a result of his fishing on that day or other reasons, we do not know." The anglers in the successive parties are named, and the number fish taken and other details are reported. Bill Savage, one of the founding members and purchasers of the cabin, assembled these volumes. The third log is dedicated to the memory of J.E. Pepall.
With three leaves of manuscript notes on agenda leaves of a trip in the summer of 1965.
Wood: "the fishing was very good in those early years".
Price: $2,250.00 Free International Delivery