Most from Chicago: [1930s; last is dated 1969].
All 4to save last which is 12mo. Early Letters from William Shawn. Old folds Item #325620
Excellent group of correspondence from William Shawn (1907-1992)
Marshall A. Best was Editor of Viking Press. He came to Viking in 1925 when B.W. Huebsch was absorbed by Harold Guinzburg's Viking Press and became Chairman of the Executive Committee. With Pat Covici he developed the Viking Portable Library.
1. Undated letter October 29th Wednesday. Story from Scribner's returned.
2. About idea for Charlie Chaplin Biography 2pp. Tuesday January 27th (1931) and Chaplin's being in NYC for opening of City Lights
3. Feb 4, (1931). TLS about seeing Charlie Chaplin and his disinterest in anyone writing his Biography until he is dead (small stain and split)
4. Dec. 27 2pp. on not coming to Chicago for the holidays and Alice's sculpture, Viking and publishing
5. Thursday, Dec 4, 1 page not submitting after failure at Scribner's. Say hello to Brittons
6. TLS. 1 page September 3
7. TLS. 1 page. June 13, 1969 thanking him for suggesting "Care-Ring" for Talk of Town in New Yorker.
Price: $9,000.00 Free International Delivery