The Houghton Club Commonplace Book 1827 - 1902. A facsimile.
Stockbridge: published by and for the Members, [30 November] 2019.
One of 60 copies. Title page printed in red and black. Full color facsimile manuscript text and drawings, with numerous letters and drawings tipped in; and with additional loose facsimiles in a pocket at back.  pp. 1 vols. Folio. Full dark green straight grain morocco, upper cover titled in gilt, a.e.g by Brockman. Cloth box with morocco label. With a copy of the printed prospectus. As new For a history of the Club, see Maxwell, Chronicles of the Houghton Fishing Club (1908), and Further Chronicles … 1908-1931, edited by R.P. Page (1932). Item #319195
The Houghton Club, which holds the fishing rights to more than a dozen miles of the river Test, was founded in 1822, with five members joining at the dissolution of the Longstock Club (an association dating from 1809) in 1827. In that year, the Commonplace Book was begun to permit members to record material supplementary to the Club angling log. It was kept up through 1902, and provides a wealth of material about the Club and its members, their concerns, and the fishing. There are songs, portraits of members, including the venerable Canon F. Beadon, recipes, memorial notices, caricatures, a pastiche of Pepys, and sketches by Rackham and Landseer.
The facsimile was prepared for members by the Atelier Press, London, printed on Inuit cotton laid paper, and bound by James Brockman as an exact copy of the original, which is still preserved at the Club. The facsimile includes a list of the 29 subscribers (26 members and three retired members).
A fine production in a beautiful binding.
Price: $8,250.00 Free International Delivery