Cairo: Nile Mission Press, 1913.
6,  pp. 1 vols. 12mo. Original buff side-stapled wrappers. Some splitting at spine, old crease. Very good. Covers and first and last leaves with institutional blindstamp of Hartford Theological Seminary. Not in OCLC. Item #314517
The Cairo Study-Centre was founded in 1912 by the American missionary Samuel Zwemer (1867-1952), who was "the driving force behind Protestant collaborative missions to Muslims in the early twentieth century" (Sharkey, American Evangelicals in Cairo, p 92). The report details the lecture series delivered by Zwemer — one on "Islam, its doctrines and practice," and "The Moselm doctrine of God" – as well as three lectures by his colleague W.H.T. Gairdner, to the 9 students who made up the inaugural class. Gardiner also gave classes on Arabic. "Much interest was displayed, and it is quite certain that if the first year of the Study-Centre has borne no other fruit, it has at least acquainted many with the elements of the problem before Christendom, impressed them with the magnitude of Islam as a subject for study, and created a keen desire to know more, together with a salutory sense of how little was known before" (p 2). The centre merged into the American University in Cairo in 1920.
Price: $275.00 Free Domestic Delivery