, 60 pp of typewritten text, with a hand-drawn map of the Club property on the Dobsis Stream between “Dobsis” and “Pocumsas” lakes, a folding cyanotype map of the region, and 23 photographs of the Club and members. 1 vols. 8vo (8-1/2 x 6 inches). UNRECORDED. Reverse buckskin, with title stamped in blind, Dobsis Club 1872-1912, with metal ring binding. Signature "January 1, 1912 Lillian W. Larrabee" on title leaf. Typescript addendum of fishing catches 1919-1920 by H.S. Dennison loosely inserted. Green cloth folding box Item #312798
History of the Dobsis Club in the Grand Lake watershed, formed in 1872 by Harvey Jewell, Lyman B. Jewell, E.W. Dennison, Cutler Downer, V.H. Blackston, and F.A. Kennedy, with famous Rangeley guide G. L. F. Ball as Manager. In 1879, club buildings were built by Ball on the spit of land between Sysladobsis (or Dobsis) and Pocumcus lakes.
The first portion of the book transcribes Ball’s letters, 1872-1894, discussing his marriage, money woes, and fish hatchery business. Ball, who had been a guide in the Rangeley region since the early 1860s, worked for the club until 1898, and died the following year. The history includes a calendar of notable dates, including construction, poker hands, an earthquake, persons falling into the rivers, and the disappearance of N.O. Shaw (on 19 December 1907; his body was found the next June). Weather records include Ice Out dates (earliest 22 April 1878, latest, 16 May 1888), extremes of temperature in summer and winter. There is a long register of fishermen and visitors, and logs of fishing catches and game bags. Many names from the Dennison clan appear over the years. The work is illustrated throughout with high quality photographs: portraits of members and views of the club, sometimes two to a plate. The last entries, for seven members visiting in Spring 1912, are in manuscript.
The club appears to have continued in existence through the early 1940s.
Price: $6,000.00 Free International Delivery