Autograph Manuscript Continental Army Discharge, Signed "RJ Meigs" to Corporal Robert Stiles. American Revolution, Col. R.eturn J.onathan Meigs.
Autograph Manuscript Continental Army Discharge, Signed "RJ Meigs" to Corporal Robert Stiles


Autograph Manuscript Continental Army Discharge, Signed "RJ Meigs" to Corporal Robert Stiles.

Westfield, [New Jersey]: April,1780.

1 p. pen and ink on paper, four signatures on the verso. 8 x 4.5 inches. HAVING SERVED THREE YEARS FAITHFULLY. Old folds, small hole slightly affecting signature, else fine. Item #308397

An unembellished but compelling historical testament of dutiful service during the Revolutionary War, signed on the verso by four quartemasters that supplied provisions for Stiles' long walk home to Connecticut.


“Westfield, April 1780”

“Corpl Robbert (sic) Stiles having served three years faithfully the sum for which he inlisted (sic) in the 4th Conn Regiment, is discharged from the Service. The Commissaries on the Road to Connecticut will please furnish him with eight days provisions.”

“RJ Meigs Col Commd 1st Conn Brigade”

Born in Hebron, Connecticut, Robert Stiles (1757-1819) enlisted in the 4th Connecticut Regiment in the spring of 1777. By the time of his discharge, the 4th Connecticut had participated in the battles of Brandywine and New Germantown, suffered through the infamous encampment at Valley Forge, the murderous summer heat at the Battle of Monmouth, and endured the worse winter of the war at Morristown, NJ. Stiles would claim to be crippled in later life due to his service in the war and died in Schoharie, NY, shortly after his name was placed on the pension rolls.

Return Jonathan Meigs (1740-1823) was born in Middletown, Connecticut, to Jonathan and Elizabeth Hamlin Meigs. He served in the local militia and was promoted to major of the 2nd Connecticut Regiment in 1775. Later that year he accompanied Benedict Arnold on the failed expedition to Canada and was taken prisoner during the assault on Quebec. He was formally exchanged in January 1777, and promoted to Lt. Colonel in February of the same year. In May 1777, Meigs led his most famous exploit of the war, when along with just 220 men and a fleet of 13 whaleboats, he attacked the British fleet in Sag Harbor, burning twelve ships and taking 90 prisoners. He later served with General Anthonty Wayne at the Battle of Stony Point, before being given command of the 1st Connecticut Brigade. After the war, Meigs was appointed surveyor of the Ohio Company Associates and was one of the founders of Marietta, Ohio. He served as a territorial judge, justice of the peace, clerk of the Court of Quarter Sessions, and a member of the Ohio territorial legislature. He went to Tennessee in 1801 and became agent to the Cherokee nation, a position he held until his death on January 28, 1823.

Price: $400.00 Free Domestic Delivery