Fauquier County [VA]: 3rd May 1759.
1 pp. pen and ink on paper with hand drawn map, docketed on verso. 7 x 12 inches. Early Colonial Virginia Land Survey. Old folds, some separation to fold, minor toning, minor chips, else fine Item #307910
A relevant piece of Old Virginia history mapping a section of Lord Fairfax's large land holding and giving insight into the life leases therein.
The “Manor of Leeds” was named for Leeds Castle, the seat of the Fairfax family in County Kent, England. It was personally laid out by Thomas, Lord Fairfax, and surveyed in 1736. The Manor of Leeds spanned 119,927 acres located between the Hedgeman River on the upper side of Carters Run, on the branches of Goose Creek, on the lower side of the Shenandoah River below Happy Creek, including the Blue Ridge between Happy Creek Gap (now Chester Gap) and Ashby's Gap. Parcels in the tract were leased, usually for life, with the privilege of renewing indefinitely, to the lessee and two other persons, hence the names of John Williams’ daughter and grandson on this survey. As the lessee, Williams would have had the land surveyed and been required to build a house 20 feet long by sixteen feet wide and plant an orchard of 100 apple trees.
County Surveyor, John Moffet (Moffett) 1736-1813, was born to Henry Moffet and Mary Anderson in Prince William County. In addition to surveyor he also served as coroner, sheriff, and justice of the peace, and as a militiaman during the Revolutionary War.
Price: $750.00 Free International Delivery