Caerimoniale episcoporum iussu Clementis VIII Pont. Max. reformatum. Omnibus ecclesiis praecipuè autem Metropolitanis, Cathedralibus, & Collegiatis perutile ac necessarium. Ad SS. D. Dominum N. Urbanum VIII. PP. The French Binders Binding.
Caerimoniale episcoporum iussu Clementis VIII Pont. Max. reformatum. Omnibus ecclesiis praecipuè autem Metropolitanis, Cathedralibus, & Collegiatis perutile ac necessarium. Ad SS. D. Dominum N. Urbanum VIII. PP
Caerimoniale episcoporum iussu Clementis VIII Pont. Max. reformatum. Omnibus ecclesiis praecipuè autem Metropolitanis, Cathedralibus, & Collegiatis perutile ac necessarium. Ad SS. D. Dominum N. Urbanum VIII. PP
Caerimoniale episcoporum iussu Clementis VIII Pont. Max. reformatum. Omnibus ecclesiis praecipuè autem Metropolitanis, Cathedralibus, & Collegiatis perutile ac necessarium. Ad SS. D. Dominum N. Urbanum VIII. PP

Bound by The French Binders, 1934

Caerimoniale episcoporum iussu Clementis VIII Pont. Max. reformatum. Omnibus ecclesiis praecipuè autem Metropolitanis, Cathedralibus, & Collegiatis perutile ac necessarium. Ad SS. D. Dominum N. Urbanum VIII. PP.

Paris: Societatis Typographic Librorum Officii Ecclesiastici …, 1633.

Engraved title, numerous small and large engraved vignettes, head-and tail-pieces, one full-page engraving; text printed in black, running headlines and chapter headings in red, numerous large decorated initial capitals. 1 vols. Folio. Bound by The French Binders, 1934. Full red crushed morocco, covers decorated with single black and gilt fillets, including a central diamond in black and gilt with a gilt-rolled frame, spine in six compartments with raised bands gilt, lettered in two, others with simple frame of black and gilt fillets, wide gilt turn-ins with large gilt cornerpieces, a.e.g., gilt-stamped on the turn-in of the inside front cover, “French Binders, Garden City NY,” and on that of the rear cover, “H. Hardy Relieur 1934 G. Pilon Doreur.” Very slight rubbing to extremities, still near fine, with some toning to text. In a quarter morocco slipcase with chemise. Provenance: Estelle Doheny (red morocco booklabel); Carl C. Kalbfleisch (brown morocco booklabel). Item #306616

Beautifully bound in full red morocco by The French Binders, successors to The Club Bindery, and signed on the rear turn in by two of the firm's most distinguished binders, Henry Hardy and Gaston Pilon.
The French Binders traces its lineage back to The Club Bindery, founded in 1895 by members of the Grolier Club to provide exceptionally fine bindings for American collectors. The Club Bindery moved to Cleveland, where it was successively renamed the Rowfant Bindery (1909-1913), the Booklover's Shop (1914-1917), and finally, The French Binders (1918-1920s), as in-house bindery to Doubelday in Garden City, New York. Henry Hardy worked for all incarnations of the bindery, starting with The Club Bindery; his brother-in-law, Gaston Pilon worked with Chambolle-Duru in Paris, and came over to America to join the Rowfant Bindery. Both Hardy and Pilon were named Officers of the French Academy in 1933, the highest recognition given by the French government to naturalized Americans (see Martin Antonetti's essay in Bound to Be the Best: The Club Bindery).

Price: $3,000.00 Free International Delivery