Antiquarum statuarum urbis Romae, quae in publicis privatisque locis visuntur, icones … Pars secunda. Rome.
Antiquarum statuarum urbis Romae, quae in publicis privatisque locis visuntur, icones … Pars secunda
Antiquarum statuarum urbis Romae, quae in publicis privatisque locis visuntur, icones … Pars secunda
Antiquarum statuarum urbis Romae, quae in publicis privatisque locis visuntur, icones … Pars secunda
Antiquarum statuarum urbis Romae, quae in publicis privatisque locis visuntur, icones … Pars secunda
Antiquarum statuarum urbis Romae, quae in publicis privatisque locis visuntur, icones … Pars secunda

With Early Manuscript Notes in French

Antiquarum statuarum urbis Romae, quae in publicis privatisque locis visuntur, icones … Pars secunda.

Rome: Ex typis Gottifredi de Scaichis …, 1621.

Engraved title-page + 79 full-page engraved plates of antique statuary in Rome by Orazio di Santis and Cherubino Alberti. In all, 80 leaves as issued, without letterpress. Interleaved with 120 inserted manuscript leaves in French, descriptive of the images, with an index on 4 leaves, on paper watermarked IP within a heart and with fleur de lys. 1 vols. 4to. With Early Manuscript Notes in French. Near contemporary vellum binding from English legal manuscript waste. Spine perished, partly disbound. Some chipping to outer edges of first leaf identifying the owner as the recipient of the book from “Monsieur Guillaume de Kinseley” of Canterbury, descendant of George Abbott, Archbishop of Canterbury. Armorial bookplate of Robert Clarence Ruyn Cicognara 3477. Item #265433

Later edition of this collection of copper engravings of classical statuary, complete in 80 leaves (title and plates numbered 1 to 79), and issued without letterpress.

An early seventeenth century iconography of classical statuary in Rome, here with an extensive and legible descriptive commentary in French, touching upon the lore and visual significance of the statues. The notes are closely written and learned.

The first leaf of the manuscript is damaged but the manuscript coat of arms and written note suggest a provenance with direct connection to William Kingsley, archdeacon of Canterbury (1584–1648), a fellow of All Souls college, Oxford, and a considerable benefactor to the library of the cathedral. The text notes at the top “[cont]enues dans ce livre m'ont estés donnés par [. . .] [K]inseley Canturburii [. . .] 1690” and then renders into French the memorial to Kingsley in Canterbury Cathedral, which records that his wife Damaris was brother to George Abbot, Archbishop of Canterbury. One of their 16 children was William Kingsley (1669–1705), an army officer who served on the continent and in Ireland.

Price: $900.00 Free International Delivery