Autograph manuscript indenture signed (“Jno Nelson Lloyd”) and (”Amelia Lloyd”) for the sale of 180 acres of land “upon Lloyd’s Neck or Queen’s Village” to Angelina (Lloyd) Strong for “the sum of one dollar” Also signed Chrales L. Strong and Jonathan L. Lawrence as witnesses.

Queens Village, New York, NY: July 18, 1811.

1p. pen and ink on vellum. 1 vols. Folio (26 x 26 inches). Old folds, minor wear, else fine Item #231148

An indenture concerning a historically significant property on Long Island and a sale by Lloyd heir, John Nelson Lloyd (1783-1842), and his mother, Amelia White Lloyd (1760-1818), to John Nelson Lloyd’s sister, Angelina Lloyd Strong (1785-1814).

Queens Village, originally annexed to Oyster Bay, Queen’s County, was a 3,000-acre agricultural estate granted by royal patent to Boston merchant, James Lloyd, in 1684. Lloyd’s son, Henry, was the first in the family to take up residence on what was also known as “Lloyd’s Neck.” (One of Henry Lloyd’s slaves, was Jupiter Hammon, America’s first published African-American poet, who remained enslaved by the family for his entire life.) After Henry’s death in 1763, the property was left to his four surviving sons, Henry II, Joseph, John, and James. The Lloyd’s were forced to evacuate their estate when it was occupied by the British during the American Revolution but returned after the war.

The John Nelson Lloyd in our indenture was the grandson of Henry’s son, John, and the son of John Lloyd, Jr. In John Nelson Lloyd’s biographical sketch for the Yale Class of 1802, it was noted that, “His father died in 1792, and his grandfather Lloyd in 1795, so that young Lloyd, as the heir to a large landed estate, was perhaps the wealthiest member of the Class.” The last “Lord of Queen’s Manor” was John Nelson Lloyd’s son, Henry Lloyd IV, who acquired the property after his father’s death in 1841. In 1885, the New York State Legislature separated the Manor from Oyster Bay, Queens County, establishing it as part of the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County.

In the early 20th century, Lloyd Harbor and the area of Lloyd’s Neck became part of the”Gold Coast” of Long Island’s North Shore. Among the many grand estates established there, was the 1,765-acre estate of Marshall Fields III, “Caumsett,” which took the original Matinecock Indian name for Lloyd’s Neck. Field’s estate incorporated a large portion of the original Lloyd estate, including the original 1711 home of Henry Lloyd. Today, Field’s estate is part of Caumsett State Historic Preserve and Henry Lloyd’s home has been preserved and is currently open to the public.

Price: $350.00 Free Domestic Delivery